Jan 31, 2011

This Century Art Gallery Exhibition, Linda Carey and Charmaine Jackson from February 8 to March 25, 2011





Charmaine Jackson, Lampwork Jewelry
Artist Statement

As a glass artist, I love how light moves through glass.  I believe that allure of glass beads is the simple enduring beauty of the glass itself: the joy they will bring for generations, and their accessibility as miniature works of art.

My approach to glass bead making is as simple as slowing down and letting the glass reveal its complex nature, showing me which ways it wants to be manipulated and molded.

 When working with the molten glass,  I am constantly mesmerized by the fluidity of the once solid glass, and the unpredictability inherent in melting and changing its form.  I find inspiration in the glass itself, and the ways in which it shows me what to do next.

As a child, I was always doing something creative; drawing or painting, always experimenting to see what I could do.  But instead of art, I pursued a career in science, to further understand and appreciate the world around me, yet still posing the questions of,  "What else is possible?" and, " Are there any limits?"  It is that innate curiosity which drives me to see what else I can do to release the glass' secrets-it keeps me fascinated and passionate about creating my beads.
 
While it takes a great deal of skill and determination, and is not without its heartaches, creating beads is where I find my inner peace.                         

Linda Carey, Pastel
Artist Statement
Though I am a perceptual painter, I believe that what I choose to paint and the possibilities I see are as much about ideas and images that I carry in my head as they are about being confronted in the moment with the motif. Cezanne said that painting is the world seen through a sensibility, but I know that I am simultaneously remembering and seeing through other sensibilities as I observe the world. The geometry of the quattrocento, the light of  the Impressionists, and many other influences provide me with not only with ideas about what to paint, but with possibilities for seeing and responding with the materials.

The medium of chalk pastel is integral to my work and aesthetic. Dry pigment allows me to freely draw and paint at the same time, and make countless revisions over an extended period of time. The exploratory nature of drawing is important to me, but I think of my pastels as paintings because of the complex color interactions.

My preferred working method with landscape entails going back & forth between working on site, and in my studio from multiple digital images and notations that I record while drawing on site. I travel to satisfy my curiosity and interest in cultures, architecture and art, and I draw to gain a deeper understanding of the physical environments I encounter. For me it is important in the end to truthfully record my sensations of a very particular place and time while satisfying my own penchant for structure, harmony and resonance.

Linda Carey Resume 
Education   BFA and MFA in studio art, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ (drawing and painting)

Select Solo and Two-Person Exhibitions
2011          Linda Carey, Pastels, This Century Art Gallery, Williamsburg, VA
2011          Linda Carey, Recent Work, Keny Galleries, Columbus, OH
2009          Linda Carey, Architectural Landscapes, Keny Galleries, Columbus, OH
2008          Linda Carey and William Barnes, Beverly Street Studio School, Staunton, VA
2008          Linda Carey, Works on Paper, Charles Taylor Art Center, Hampton VA
2007          OBSERVATIONS: Linda Carey and William Barnes, Millersville Univ. Sykes Gallery, Millersville PA
2006          Linda Carey, Works on Paper, Washington & Lee University Williams School Gallery, Lexington, VA
2004          Linda Carey and Neil Riley, Keny Galleries, Columbus, OH
2003          Italian Landscapes: Linda Carey, Ohio Dominican University, Columbus, OH

Select Group Exhibitions
2011          Linda Carey, Perception and Memory, Clayton Galleries, Tampa, FL
2010          Rochefort-en Terre Chateau Museum, Klots-MICA Residency, Brittany, France
2010          Artists Who Teach Juried Exhibition, Charles Taylor Art Center, Hampton VA
2009          William & Mary Faculty Exhibition, Muscarelle Museum, Williamsburg, VA
2009          Artists Who Teach Juried Exhibition, Charles Taylor Art Center, Hampton VA
2007          Annual Small Works Invitational, Blue Mountain Gallery, New York, NY
2007          Artists Who Teach Juried Exhibition, Charles Taylor Art Center, Hampton VA
2007          William & Mary Faculty Exhibition, Muscarelle Museum, Williamsburg, VA
2006          Small Works Invitational Exhibition, Charles Taylor Art Center, Hampton VA

Awards, Residencies

2010        Five-week MICA Klots Residency Fellowship, Rochefort-en-Terre, Brittany, France
2010        Travel grant, MICA Klots Residency
2010        Six-week Ballinglen Arts Foundation Residency Fellowship, County Mayo, Ireland
2010        2nd Place Award, Artists Who Teach Juried Exhibition, Charles Taylor Art Center, Hampton VA
2008        Two-month Residency: The Virginia Atelier, Cite Internationale Des Arts, Paris, France
2007        1st Place Award, Artists Who Teach Juried Exhibition, Charles Taylor Art Center, Hampton VA
2006        3rd Place Award, Artist’s Who Teach Invitational, Charles Taylor Art Center, Hampton VA

Teaching History
2010                     Visiting Artist, pastel workshop, Christopher Newport University, VA
2010                     Visiting Instructor, CCAD study abroad program, Scuola Lorenzo de’ Medici, Rome, Italy
2010                     Adjunct Instructor, figure drawing, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
2009                     Visiting Artist and pastel workshop, Columbus College of Art & Design
2009                     Visiting Artist and pastel workshop, Beverly Street Studio School, Staunton VA
2008                     Visiting Instructor, CCAD study abroad program, Scuola Lorenzo de’ Medici, Rome, Italy
2007-present       Adjunct Instructor, 2-d foundations, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
2007                     Visiting Artist and pastel workshop, Washington & Lee University, Lexington, VA

Represented by Keny Galleries, Columbus, Ohio.  Works are in numerous private and public collections.